Author Bio And Interview With Aaron Hodges

by - February 13, 2021

 


Aaron Hodges was born in New Zealand, in a small town, called Whakatane. He has a Bachelors of Science in Biology and Geography, and a Masters of Environmental Engineering. He worked as an environmental consultant for two years, but he quit his job and went to see the world. One year later, in 2015, in Guatemala, Aaron published Stormwielder, his first novel. Since then, he already travelled through parts of SE Asia, North and South America, India, Turkey and Europe. At now, he has over a dozen works to his name.

If you want to know more about Aaron Hodges and his works:

https://m.facebook.com/aaronhodgesauthor 

https://instagram.com/aaronhodgesauthor 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08653PM1L/ 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HCVTHVW 

The interview

1. You travelled a lot and saw so many countries. Do you have any favourite place? Why that place?

I think Guatemala is still probably my favourite place to have visited. They just have so many fascinating landscapes, including views of active volcanic eruptions, stunning beaches, high altitude lakes and even a little patch of caribbean coastline! The people are wonderful and the some of the cities are really cute and interesting to visit as well. I even got to play a game of rugby with the local team in Antigua my last visit which was really something special!


2. You published your first novel, Stormwielder, in Guatemala. Can you tell me about it?

Stormwielder was a project I'd worked on on and off for years before I finally had it in shape to publish. It tells the story about a young man cursed with a terrible power. Unable to understand this power, he banishes himself to the wilderness, but he cannot stay there forever and finally he returns to civilisation--with terrible consequences. Its a story I first came up with in high school and spent more than five years on and off getting it right. Its still one of my favourite stories out of all the books I've published!


3. You have seen a lot of different culture. How did they affect your writing? Did any of them inspire your stories?

I love to incorporate little things from my travels--be they places I've visited, people I've met, experiences I've had, cultures and societies I've interacted with, or even histories I've learnt about. I find they really add a depth to my work that wouldn't be present otherwise.


4. How does travelling affect your writing? How long is to create a new novel?

It usually takes me about three months ot write a book when I'm working on it full time, that's including three drafts, edits by my editor and proofreader, and preparation for promotion. I don't travel so much nowadays, but even when I did I had to treat my writing like a job, setting aside a few hours each day, just so I could stay on track!


5. For you what is the easiest and most difficult thing in writing a book?

I think the most difficult thing is getting everything together before hand--coming up with characters, plot, the setting, creating the entire world around the story. That's hard. But conversely, I find the ending of a book the easiest, as by then everything is set and you're just telling the story about the consequences the rest of the story was leading up to. And I find that part exciting.


6. If you could visit any place from any novel, where would you go? Why?

Hmmm, well I wouldn't be visiting Westoros that's for sure! I'd say I'd go with my childhood fantasies of Hogwarts. Not even because of the magic, just because it always seemed such a homely and welcoming place!

7. Did you ever use someone you know to your characters?

I've used the names of people I know (which they always get a kick out of), but I don't generally base my characters off anyone in particular.


8. Do you have any favourite place, or you can write anywhere?

I usually like to go to a cafe to write, if only to get myself out of hte house each day!


9. Do you have any ongoing, or new project? If yes, can you tell me about it?

My latest project is a bit of a change for me, its a bit more scifi than most of my work, and focuses on a planet invaded by the alien species of the Alfur, who have enslaved humanity. I can't say much more than that at this point. ;-)


10. If you could live anywhere, as anything, what would you be and where? Why?

I'd probably keep my profession, I love creating stories for my readers, although a bit more pay security would be nice, maybe a big multimillion dollar contract thanks? And I'd love to get back to Buenos Aires, where I was living before the pandemic cut my time there short. Its a pretty amazing city with a great social scene and friendly people.

Thank you for your answers! And what would you ask from Aaron Hodges? 🙃


You May Also Like

0 Comments