Author Bio And Interview With Deston J. Munden

by - November 02, 2020



Deston "D. J." Munden is a science fiction and fantasy author. He lives in a small house in a woods in North Carolina with his brother. When D. J. is not writing, he is playing video games, watching anime and reading manga. He likes trying out new recipes, collecting samurai memorabilia. Currently, he is working on the Dargath Chronicles and on his science fiction series, 'Dusk Mountain Blues'.


 

If you want to know more about Deston J. Munden and his works:

www.djmunden.com

https://www.amazon.com/Deston-J-Munden/e/B07Q2D6948/

https://twitter.com/SrBuffaloKnight

https://www.instagram.com/authordjmunden/

https://www.facebook.com/D.J.Munden/

Tavern: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PWTR89Q/

Dusk Mountain Blues: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085LQJH3K/



The interview

1. Your next book, Duke’s Brand: Book 2 of the Dargath Chronicles Series, will be released in December 2020. Can you tell me about it?

Duke’s Brand is the sequel to Tavern, but not the direct sequel. It follows a new main character who I’ve been marketing as Neville Longbottom meets Thor from the MCU and Steven Universe. It’s a story about a knight’s redemption as he comes in direct contact with a person he slighted in the past. He’s also my first ever autistic main character and I hope that everyone enjoys him as much as I enjoyed writing him. If you’re the type to enjoy high fantasy novels with loads of magic, battle, and a budding friendship, you will enjoy Duke’s Brand.


2. You like video games. Have you ever thought at that, to write a story for a video game? 

It’s something that has come up from time to time. If given the chance, absolutely. I would love to join a video game project. It was my original plan before I realized that I wanted to be a novelist just a bit more. I would love to write on a heavy story-based game like Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect, Baldur’s Gate, or Dragon Age. I would even love to write for a Skyrim mod. I think that would be neat. So, in short, yes, I’ve thought to write a story for a video game a lot. I have plenty of ideas that I think would only work in video game form.


3. You write both fantasy and science fiction. Do you like mixing magic and science in your books?

I don’t actually. I keep my fantasy and science fiction far away from each other. They do inspire each other in terms of world-building but that’s it. Science is for science; magic is for magic.


4. For you, which science fiction author, or book is a must-read for a scifi fan? Why?

Gareth J. Powell, easily. He’s a fantastic author that is active on twitter. His books inspired me to write Dusk Mountain Blues. If you haven’t read the Embers of War series, I strongly suggest that you try it out. It has a lot of interesting characters, the writing style is slick, and it feels like a classic space opera. Please give him a go.

Other than him, I would recommend the Expanse series. It’s a fantastic book series and a great television show too!


5. Magic systems are interesting and need time to create. Do you prefer soft, or hard magic systems in your stories? Why?

I’m a hard-magic system type of guy. I prefer my magic to have clearly defined rules and limitations. It’s easier to write and makes it so that the magic isn’t too overpowered in the story.  Time and time again I’ve seen authors use soft magic systems to literally magic away a problem in the story. Also, with a hard-magic system, it allows the characters to have to get creative with what they can and cannot learn within their abilities. Dargath Chronicles has a hard magic system where everyone is born with a single rune and they cannot learn magic outside of that rune. I feel like that gives the characters some uniqueness while keeping it contained.


6. You like collecting samurai memorabilia. Do you like using samurais, or any famous samurai as an inspiration in your books? If yes who and why?

Yes, I do like using samurais or the inspirations in my book. My orcs are closer to samurais than I think people realize at first, especially with their bonds to their swords. As for famous samurais, the main samurai that I’m often inspired by is Musashi Miyamoto. He’s an inspiration for a lot of my characters, even Xel to an extent. His history is so rich and complicated that I would love to have had a chance to spend at least a little time to know him. If you haven’t already, read his book “The Book of Five Rings”. It’s an amazing experience.


7. Writing a book is a lot of work and not always fun. There is any part, which you would like to skip, if you could?

Editing most likely. Editing is the hardest part for me because I’m so hard on myself. When I see something wrong, it bothers me to no end. But I’m getting used to it.


8. Currently you are working on the Dargath Chronicles and on Dusk Mountain Blues. Do you have any other ongoing project, or project idea?

Not entirely. I’m going to finish Dusk Orbit Blues before I go to any other project. These two are already a hand full.


9. If your books could become a movie, or an anime, would you want it? If yes, which one would you prefer?

This is a question that I’ve gotten quite a lot. Movie, no; anime, yes. I think with a movie, there will be too many problems in the production to make a good movie for either of my series. There’s a lot of crazy stuff that happens in my books. I’ve watched enough anime that I believe that my novels would make better animations. Also, I think the animation would allow the people producing it to have better control over the voices and design that I would want in the series.  


10. If you could live anywhere, as anything, what would you be and where? Why?

Japan, obviously. I’m a bit of a dork. I’ve done so much research about Japan but I’ve never had the chance to see it on my own. There are places that I want to see in Japan, even just the countryside and experience that majestic beauty. Also, there’s temples that I want to see and cities I would love to visit. The only thing that really makes me nervous is the language barrier. Before living anywhere else, I would like to know a bit of the language.  I feel like talking with the people is just as important as experiencing the culture or environment. So, yeah, definitely, Japan.

Honorable mentions will be Canada, New Zealand, and Germany.


Thank you for your answers! And you, dear Reader, what would you ask from Deston J. Munden?


You May Also Like

0 Comments