Author Bio And Interview With Joshua Kern

by - December 16, 2020



Joshua Kern always wanted to be a writer. He was born in a little town, called Xenia, in Ohio and was raised in an even smaller town in Colorado. Joshua attended to university, when he realized, that his true passion lays in writing. Currently he is working on several series, which span a few different genres from gamelit to fantasy, even a little romance. When Joshua is not writing, he likes riding motorcycles, watching anime and of course reading. 

If you want to know more about Joshua Kern and his works:

https://www.facebook.com/AuthorJoshuaKern

https://www.patreon.com/exyled99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089R58RN7



The interview

1. What was the point, when you realized, that you want to write?


                I was fairly young when I realized it was something that I wanted to try doing at some point. It wasn’t until much later that I decided to really give it a try and go full-time.


2. Do you have any favourite and less favourite genre for reading and writing?


                I really enjoy writing Gamelit and Fantasy, it has the right mixture of freedom and rules. The fantasy and magic elements especially make it a lot of fun to write. The unpredictable nature of magic I think allows for more possibilities in a story. I think my least favourite genres to write are those that take place inside the real world with few changes taking place. There is no magic for me to play within those stories. I have done it, and I think the story turned out fantastic, I simply did not enjoy writing it as much as I thought I would.


3. Usually how long it takes to create a full story? If you have writer's block, what works for you to stop it?


                It generally takes me about three to four months for each book. I’m trying to get faster, but for now, at least my fans will have to be happy with three books a year. I don’t often have writer’s block (knock on wood), but when I do it’s a matter of pushing through it and working on my outline. Having an outline, no matter how small can really help with that issue, I think. The outline gives you an idea of where to take the story and the characters, which prevents you from writing yourself into a corner, usually.


4. You like anime. If it would be possible, would you like someone make an anime version of any of your story?


                YES PLEASE! I would love to see my stories animated or turned into something else. If that ever happens though I want to be involved with the creation of the script. I have seen too many adaptations screw up the story because someone thought they knew better than the original author.


5. You prefer working on only one story, or can focus on more projects at the same time?


                I keep trying to focus on multiple projects at once in the hope that I will get faster. So far it has not worked. That said I do have my main story that I work on throughout the day, and then I second story I work on for like twenty minutes each night to decompress.


6. What was the funniest, or strangest situation, which gave you an idea to a scene, or character?


                I don’t have one like that really, I try not to draw on real-world people or situations in my writing. I did however come up with an idea for a superhero story while driving once. That story has been mostly outlined and is just waiting for me to finish writing it.


7. If you could bring anything from any fictional universe to our world, what would it be? Why?


                Magic without a doubt. Now if you are talking about a more physical object then that question gets way more complicated. I think it would have to be an advanced alien spaceship because then I can explore the stars while also having access to advanced tech and medbay. No more health issues for me!


8. Is there any genre, or topic, which you have never tried out, but always wanted to write about it? If yes, why that?


                Romance, I enjoy romance stories and have had an idea for one percolating inside my mind for a while now. I’m just waiting until I have more personal experience in that topic before giving it a try.


9. Who was the easiest and most difficult to create from your characters?


The main character, for me at least is almost always the easiest hands down. The rest of the story revolves around them and the choices they make, note I said story and not the world. The hardest is usually the love interest, I want them to feel like real people with real lives and emotions. This means I can’t just fall back on love at first sight, I need to make the relationship and their choices believable. All of that shapes them into a hard to create character.


10. If you could live as anything, in any real, or fictional universe, where would you live, as what? Why?


                Dungeon Master on the world of Alaria, and the answer is simple I know the world (I created it for one of my stories). The freedom of what the Dungeon Master is able to do and create is almost limitless so I could explore the stars given enough time. Plus, there is also magic and monsters in that world. It just hits all the right spots for me.


Thank you for your answers! And you, dear Reader, what would you ask from Joshua Kern? 🙃


You May Also Like

0 Comments