Book Interview: The Alehouse Wars By Michael Evan And JMD Reid

by - November 11, 2020

The Alehouse Wars is the first part of the series, Cider & Ale Chronicles, which is a collaboration of Michael Evan and JMD Reid. The series is a unique satirical fantasy, which can be divided as 2 duologies. In the Alehouse Wars, we get know a group of harbor seals, who fight over beer monopoly with their old enemy, the walruses. When the envious walruses want to steal the secret of beer from the harbor seals, JM, a young harbor seal knows, he has to do something. The walruses, with the leading of Bruce Vitelli, have a dastardly plan to break their enemy. JM decides to go to a quest, to find the only thing, what can help his people to stand a chance. And to protect the secret of the beer. 


If you want more information about The Alehouse Wars:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/53979634


The interview with Michael Evan

1. The Alehouse Wars is a unique, satirical fantasy novella. How the idea of it came to your mind?

Basically the idea started out of an inside joke I had with my daughter who was six at the time about seals. I told her if I ever wrote a book, it would have seals in it. I’ve always liked beer, and I figured seals and beer would work perfectly together. Sort of like apple pie and ice cream, or pizza and pepperoni. Somehow, it ended up being a loose interpretation of the Maccabean war against the Greeks with mobster walruses as the antagonists. 


2. You wrote the Cider & Ale Chronicles together with JMD Reid. Was it easy to co-write a story? What co-writing made easier, and what was more difficult like this?

I’m not going to lie. I had the story all plotted out over a year ago but I was stumped on anything that involved military tactics and choreographed battles. I was good with the character interaction and the jokes, but I wanted something bigger. Something that would resonate. James is one of the best writers in the genre. He writes brilliant battles, and incredibly emotional scenes. I approached him because I knew I needed someone to help turn my crazy concepts into something magical. I’d say the experience was pretty ideal. I wrote my chapters, James worked on his chapters quickly and sent them. I would make some changes so that everything blended nicely, and throw in some jokes and it was golden.


3. How long it took to write the book?

Once James was on board, Alehouse Wars was ready for ARC reads within a few weeks. It was a very quick process.


4. Does The Alehouse Wars have any hidden symbol, or message?

There are tons of messages in the entire Cider & Ale Chronicles series. I think want many early readers have enjoyed is that while the books are funny and irreverent, they are also steeped in morals and values. I hope people will come away from the series feeling the ideas of compassion, altruism, faith, perseverance, and family, as these ideas were a major part of the series as a whole. 


6. Harbor seals and walruses are old enemies in The Alehouse Wars. How, or why their differences started?

So basically the idea is that  Al, a Great White shark brews the perfect ale, and the harbor seals have almost single handedly (or flpperly) sustained his business because...well you know harbor seals and their drinking. The Walruses who live on a different coast, are jealous that they don’t have access to great beer. Thus a battle based on greed and corruption ensues with a great deal of the walrus antagonists’ traits coming from classic gangster films like The Godfather and Scarface.


7. If you should choose one favourite character, who would it be and why?

Honestly if we’re talking about book one I’d say JM. He’s really a lot like a younger version of me, but also a current version of me. He’s an idealist, who believes I’m true love, and  kindness but can also be a bit brash and headstrong at times. 


8. Can you tell me any secret about The Alehouse Wars?

All I can say is that nothing about the entire Cider & Ale Chronicles is what it seems. There are many shocks and unexpected turns. I’m a big fan of M Knight Shyamalan’s early films, and some of that influence makes its way into the series. Be prepared to read it all again once you’ve gotten through it.


9. If you should choose a side, you would help to JM, or Bruce Vitelli? Why?

Bruce is a really bad guy. He’s like Emperor Palpatine bad. I definitely felt for some of his walrus minions while writing the book, and I made Bruce a fan of Andrew LLoyd Webber and musical theatre in order to bring some humor to the character, but I think it would be hard to side with Bruce. When you get into Rebellion and learn a bit more about Bruce’s backstory you’ll find it even harder to sympathize. He’s a true megalomaniac.

Matthias is definitely a flawed hero. He’s not perfect. He’s a prickly cantankerous jerk at times, but what the series explores is that his heart as a husband, father and military leader was in the right place. I’d say almost everyone will be rooting for Matthias and JM.


10. To who would you recommend The Alehouse Wars?

I’d recommend it to anyone that likes epic fantasy, satirical work by authors like Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams and Robert Rankin, and those what want a quick fun story that sets up a much bigger and more bizarre world.


Thank you for your answers! And you, dear Reader, what would you ask about The Alehouse Wars? 🙃


You May Also Like

0 Comments