Author Bio And Interview With Robert Cano

by - October 29, 2020

 


Robert Cano is not just an author, but an unique poet too. He hearkens back to the world of classics, he brings his poetic voice to his prose too. The universe he created is inspired by Tolkien, Shelley and Le Guin. Cano's work is of a classical mindset. Calming, despite, or maybe because of, the darkness with which he writes. On October 29, today, the second book of his Soul of Sorrows series, 'The Shadow Cult' is released.

If you want to know more about Robert Cano and his works:

https://twitter.com/shadowyembrace

https://www.instagram.com/shadowyembrace/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/620898828753102

https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Cano/e/B0798JC552?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1&qid=1599425033&sr=1-1

https://www.linkedin.com/in/robert-cano-6b0a2836/

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/14685395.Robert_Cano

https://shadowyembrace.com/

https://books2read.com/u/b5Z6Ap

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G7JQ7RD

https://threefuriespress.com/products/the-shadow-cult-by-robert-cano-paperback

https://threefuriespress.com/products/the-shadow-cult-ebook

The interview:

1. Your book is released today, on October 29. Can you tell me about it?

This book is called The Shadow Cult, and it is book 2 of the Soul of Sorrows series which begins with The Dark ArcherThe Suffering, which is a novella, is a standalone story which gives backstory to an important character throughout the series.  The Shadow Cult picks up about 3 months after we leave our characters at the end of The Dark Archer.  They are trying to stop a war and attempting to find the source of the magic which created Bene, the human-turned-wraith from The Dark Archer.  They fear that he wasn't the end of their magic.  And they're right.


2. You are a writer and a poet too. Do you like putting your poems into your stories?

If a poem is fitting for a scene, I'll do it.  But let's be honest, most people aren't exactly the poetic type, so I reflect that in my writing.  I do, however, write in a classic feel which can often wax poetic.  I have a flair for heady metaphor and powerful lines, so in that way my poetry finds its way into my work.


3. Do you have any favourite topic, or poet, who inspired you? If yes, why that poet?

My favorite poet of all time is William Wordsworth.  For his time, he was a maverick of a poet, although he is largely considered only classical today.  The irony for me is how far we've grown, or fallen, from those classical roots, depending on perspective.  To be honest, with my affinity for classical poetry and literature, I find much of the modern or contemporary work to often be barely palateable.  But I find more and more that I'm certainly in the minority with such thoughts, and I'm okay with that.  In many ways, I'd love to see the more classical stylings make a comeback.


4. There are many different genres in poetry too. Do you have a less favourite, and a favourite? Why those?

I will say that I pretty well avoid modern poetry.  There are a few contemporary poets whom I love, but their stylistic choices are something that resonates with me, and I can say that none of this ever makes it to academia or popular culture in any way.  These poets aren't selling their works across the world, but their words are certainly worth listening to.  Most of them I came across through certain poetry groups I've been a part of over the long years, and to this day I find that their skills are sorely underappreciated.


5. In fantasy there are no limits for our imaginations. Do you like creating fully new races and worlds, or rather use classic examples, which you make unique?

I think I do a little of both.  I certainly have a tendency to pull from existing tropes, but I always put my own spin on whatever it is I'm doing.  My world is its own, but I find that I base many of the locations on something I've seen in our world.  In like manner, I've used various types of lore or legend to derive some of my races and creatures, but all of my readers so far have felt like even if some of the names are the same, such as fae or satyr, that my spin on them makes them so unique it's as if they've never seen them before.  Truly, I can't think of higher praise.


6. Poetry and novels are very different, but if you should choose, which one is easier to write for you and why?

Easier?  I don't know if I could say one is easier.  When I write a poem, and I consider it "good enough," I know that it will be tweaked over years.  As for novels and stories, they have their own difficulties.  I suppose if I'm comparing one poem to one novel, I would pour much more time into one novel, but odds are that I could write a chapter in a novel before I finish a poem. Sounds crazy, but it's possible.  I've written a sonnet in as little time as 30 minutes, and I've been found tweaking sonnets 10 years after the fact.  It really all depends.


7. If you should recommend one poet, who would you and why?

One poet only, I'd recommend Wordsworth.  His poetry has depth, but isn't a slog to get through, nor is it difficult to understand, although quite layered with meaning.  In the same way, Tennyson, who was Poet Laureate after Wordsworth, is a poet who chased after a similar aesthetic.  Tennyson had to learn much between his first attempts at poetry and his eventual placement as Poet Laureate.  I think many poets today could learn from that kind of study and understanding of the craft.  Even if they aren't the type to write classical or form poetry, but that depth of understanding of line, rhythm, meter, rhyme, etc... can really enhance a poem, even when not employed.  This is something I find lacking in today's poetry.


8. For you, which is the easiest and most difficult part of creating a book?

I suppose the easiest thing for me is coming up with ideas.  But then again, I've had this world in one form or another dancing around in my brain for over a decade now.  Many times, when I go to sit down and write, the stories just come pouring out.  Of course, this can be harrowing as well, and I've had moments where everything (writing) comes to a screeching halt, and I have to let it stew for a bit before I can get back to writing.  Sometimes these are issues with pacing, or could be issues I'm having with a specific character, but whatever it is, I can't continue to write until I've figured it out, and this has taken anywhere from a few minutes to a few months.


9. Do you have any new, or ongoing project? If yes, can you tell me about it?

I can tell you a little bit.  As you know, The Shadow Cult is book two of this series, but book 3 is in the works right now.  Entitled The World Soul, it is slated for a fall 2021 release, and I'm pretty excited about that one as well, as it will tie up the first trilogy in my world.  The next trilogy is already planned out and will be taking place on a different continent across the sea, a place we've only seen glimpses of up to now.  I'm super excited to see that come to fruition as well.  Also, my first science fiction novel will be released in February.  So I'm working on edits right now, which are always tough, but necessary.  Wish me luck.


10. If you could live in any fictional, or real universe, where would you live and what would you be? Why?

I think at the top of that list has always been Arda, or as some know it better, Middle Earth.  But for us Tolkien nerds, we know that Middle Earth is but a small section of the world.  One of my all-time favorite books is The Silmarillion, where we get to explore so much more, and meet so much more powerful characters than we do in Lord of the Rings.  But the world is so beautiful.  The lore and history so rich.  I don't know if I'd ever get tired of exploring it.  Preferably without the threat of Morgoth or Sauron to sully my travels.  


Thank you for your answers! And you, dear Reader, what would you ask from Robert Cano? 🙃


You May Also Like

0 Comments