Author Bio And Interview With Jan Kotouc

by - November 20, 2020



Jan Kotouc is a Czech author, who lives in Prague with his wife and two bunnies. He writes space operas, military SF and alternative history. His first novel was published in 2009. Since that, he has written more novels in Czech language. His latest series is the Central Imperium, with the Frontiers Of The Imperium, as the first book of the series. Next to writing, Jan Kotouc is teaching at a university, also he is a popular speaker at a number of conventions.

If you want to know more about Jan Kotouc and his works:

https://www.facebook.com/jankotouc87 

https://www.amazon.com/Frontiers-Imperium-Central-Book-ebook/dp/B07MNTS39L/



The interview

1. You write space operas, alternative history and military SF. Why these genres?

I think it’s for the same reason as any author writes any genre. It’s a genre I love to read and I write stories I would myself love to read if they’d be written by someone else.


2. Do you write in your native language and in English too? If you should choose, which one you prefer?

Normally I write in Czech, which is my native language. I was first published in this language and I have an established fan base here, so I keep writing in Czech and have my books translated into English. I can write in English, I have written several short stories and a novella in English. If I should choose, I would write in Czech, though. It’s still my native tongue and the writing flows more naturally.


3. Next to teaching, usually how much time do you have for your projects? Is it difficult to synchronize work and writing?

I had many different jobs, teaching English in companies is actually a pretty good thing to combine with writing, because I make my own schedule and I choose the amount of workload I can do. Right now, I’m in the process of cutting down some classes as my writing pays more bills.


4. As a fan of science fiction, which author, or novel would you recommend, maybe even call one of your inspirations? Why?

David Weber and his Honor Harrington series are my biggest inspiration, definitely. I like how he tell stories, how he works with characters, how detailed everything is, and we tell stories in similar way. So definitely David!

A few year ago I’ve also discovered the works of Lois McMaster Bujold and I greatly enjoy her SF about Miles Vorkosigan, he is one of the best characters I’ve ever seen a writer create.


5. Usually do you prefer working only on one project, or more in the same time?

I usually write just one novel at a time. But at the same time I often write outlines of upcoming projects or do editing on a previously finished novel. That puts to work different parts of the brain, so it’s actually a form of rest to stop doing one thing and do another. The only time I write two first drafts at once is when I have to put a novel aside and write a short story I promised for some magazine or an anthology. Usually I have o do that because the deadline is looming.


6. What do you find the most challenging part of being an author and why?

The proof-reading and editing galleys. I don’t know many authors who enjoy that part but it’s necessary!


7. Creating a whole universe is fun, but a lots of work too. For you, usually how long it takes and which is the easiest and most difficult part in it?

How long it takes is hard to say because I’m never quite sure when did I start to create it. As I’m working on one project, I’m often brainstorming new world for new books at the same time, because that is again a work for a different part of the brain.


8. Frontiers of the Imperium is the first book of the Central Imperium. Can you tell me about this series?

It’s a space opera and a bit of military SF. The main character is a member of the royal family named Daniel Hankerson, he is a naval intelligence officer, analyst and a passionate poker player. The Central Imperium is facing crises on all fronts and Daniel will soon find himself isolated with a crew of a prototype communication ship while the Imperium is tearing itself apart. The series has empires rising and falling, old enemy returning, intriques, space battles and also a high stakes poker game when the fleet finds itself short of cash to keep going.


9. Is any of the characters, or scenes inspired by real people, or any events, what happened to you?

I wouldn’t call it inspiration, but many secondary characters are named after people I know or people who supported my translation crowdfunding and got a character named after them as a reward. But we often won’t learn much about these secondary characters except their name.


10. If you could live in any real, or fictional universe, where would you live and what would you be? Why?

Well, I’d love to live in the Central Imperium of course. Preferably during peacetime and just travel between planets. But I’d like to live in many worlds of my favorite genre books or movies. I believe that you can tell a good fictional world if you can imagine yourself living there even if there are no characters and plots from the story.


Thank you for your answers! And you, dear Reader, what would you ask from Jan Kotouc? 🙃


You May Also Like

0 Comments